Work has been going slow, as I’m not really sure what to do next. I thought I would start with repairing the holes in the floor.
I planned to use tin and “self-piercing screws.”
Not wanting to waste an entire trailer work day before returning to the hardware store for something that will work better, I decided to remove the empty propane tanks.
As soon as I heard the hissing noise, I knew that 1) the tanks are not empty and 2) I’m lucky I did not blow myself up. My third thought was that there are people working in the building that houses my trailer. I ran upstairs to warn them to get out of the building and to call 911.
Everybody calmly exited the building and tried to calm me down, while the police, sheriff and fire department arrived. The Petersburg police officer, first to arrive at the scene, reached over and turned off the valve, immediately stopping the flow of gas into the building. Brilliant!
One of the firemen assured me that propane is heavier than air, so pools low, and was not likely to rise into the building above. We left the big door open to facilitate the propane exiting Sheba’s home. After a few minutes, one of the fireman with a propane measurement tool, told us it was safe to return to the building.
I apologized profusely to my host Dana and other occupants of the building and all of the emergency personal that responded to my call.
Today, I’m looking for a helper, who knows more about utilities than I do, so the rest of the project will be safe.